Motor Vehicle Inspection
Welcome to the Motor Vehicle Inspection Bureau, a division of the Department of Safety and Permits.
All vehicles registered in Orleans parish are required to undergo an annual inspection and receive an inspection sticker, also locally known as a “brake tag”.
Inspection prices are based on gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), as listed on the vehicle. On most vehicles, the GVWR is usually listed on the inside door panel of the driver's side.
- Vehicles less than 6,001 lbs. GVWR - $25
- Vehicles 6,001 through 10,000 lbs. GVWR - $30
- Vehicles greater than 10,000 lbs. GVWR - $40*
If your vehicle has a gross weight limit of less than 6,001 lbs. and is less than 10-years old, you can choose to have either a 1-year inspection for $25 or 2-year inspection for $50.
Note: If you’ve already purchased a one-year inspection, you will not able to pay the difference for a two-year inspection sticker.
* Vehicles greater than 10,000 lbs GVWR may only be inspected at a heavy vehicle inspection station.
There are no refunds or exchanges for inspections. The fee is for the inspection of the vehicle, not the brake tag itself. The brake tag only certifies that the vehicle has passed inspection.
Fees for expired or missing brake tags
Any vehicle presented for inspection with an expired or missing brake tag is subject to a delinquency fee of $2.00 per month, with such fees not to exceed the price of the required annual inspection. The tag expires on the last day of the month punched.
- If you recently purchased a vehicle, the inspector will use the “date acquired” from the vehicle registration certificate to determine any delinquency fees owed. If the date acquired is over two months, the driver will have to pay late fees of $2 per month, not to exceed the price of a one-year inspection.
- If you recently moved from out of state, and do not have a previous inspection certificate, the inspector will use the registration date found on the vehicle registration certificate to determine any delinquency fees owed. If this date is over two months, the driver will have to pay late fees of $2 per month, not to exceed the price of a one-year inspection.
All items to be inspected are required and must operate correctly. Equipment may not present a safety hazard.
If the vehicle fails inspection, Stations will issue a 30-day temporary inspection sticker, along with reasons for failure. The motorist will have 30 days to fix the issue and must return to the same satellite station to receive a free re-inspection. Failure to receive an inspection within the 30 day period will result in full price payment for the next inspection. There is no extension beyond the 30 days. If the motorist returns after 30 days, he/she will be required to pay for a new inspection, plus a delinquency fee of $2 per month, not to exceed the price of a one-year inspection.
Please contact the Motor Vehicle Inspection Bureau via phone at (504) 658-7170 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, concerns, or complaints.